Aggreko to power African literacy drive with Book Aid International partnership
- Aggreko donation provides 22,560 books, worth in excess of GBP175,000
- Disadvantaged groups in seven African countries and Sri Lanka to benefit from the Aggreko donation
- Initiative aims to promote literacy and create learning opportunities in developing countries
Dubai, 5 March 2007 - Aggreko plc, global leader in providing temporary power generation and temperature control services, are supporting an initiative to support the distribution and availability of books in Africa. Partnering with the respected charitable organisation, Book Aid International, the Aggreko donation will provide over 22,500 books to enhance the education and learning of disadvantaged groups in Africa. Dedicated to contributing in the countries in which they operate, Aggreko is pleased to assist Book Aid’s objective to promote literacy and creating learning opportunities in developing countries.
Founded in 1954, Book Aid International has an extensive network in the 17 sub-Saharan countries and Sri Lanka and the agency also receives patronage from His Royal Highness, The Duke of Edinburgh. Through a partnership with the established network of local libraries and cultural associations, the charity reaches the more disadvantaged groups such as children and teenagers, the rural poor, adult literacy learners and people with HIV/AIDS to ensure free and equitable access to information.
“Literacy and education are key components in bridging the gap between developing and developed countries. Ensuring more books are made available to less privileged groups in Africa and Sri Lanka gives these societies a real opportunity for sustainable development. We are delighted to partner with Book Aid International and contributing to this initiative,” said Rupert Soames, CEO Aggreko.
Through this donation, Aggreko will provide funding to assist seven African countries, - Nigeria, Ghana, Kenya, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, Tanzania and Uganda - and Sri Lanka. The books will range from novels to environmental protection and vocational skills books with 60% purchased in the country’s local language and the remaining 40% in English.